Wednesday 6 May 2015

May reading

Not one, not two, not three, but four books for May. Yes, I know I'm showing off a bit. But I can't help it. Now, two of these are quick reads so they barely count, right? And one is a children's book. So we're really down to one proper book for May. Phew!

The first is Carson Ellis's book Home. I love Carson's illustrations and this book is so sweet with homes of Slovakian duchesses, Kenyan blacksmiths, Norse gods and babushkas all in gorgeous painted detail. 

Next up is Sitting Still Like a Frog by Eline Snel, a book about mindfulness for children designed to help with anxiety, difficulty sleeping, kindness, breathing calmly and generally coping with stress. 

Then there's Fox Encounters in the Wild by Jim Crumley. Foxes are among my favourite animals. We have plenty here and I love hearing that eerie bark coming from the woods behind the house or, like the other night, from our garden. This is a slim book - just about 60 pages - but I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Finally there's Gladys Mitchell's Speedy Death. Written in 1929, it features Mrs Beatrice Adela Lestrange Bradley, unorthodox amateur sleuth whose name alone deserves a prize. 

Before I start with any of those I have to finish Mr. Hemingway's A Farewell to Arms. I know this is a classic, I know it's based on his own experiences in WW1 but...but I'm just not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped. 

****Joining in with Circle of Pine Trees A Year in Books****

6 comments:

  1. I am adding Fox Encounters in the Wild to my reading list - I often see foxes around and am always intrigued about the their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, what a lovely blog! You are showing off - but feel sure you'll love Fox - aren't the illustrations special? I loved the book. Haven't heard of the others, so look forward to hearing about them when you've finished reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the book - yes, it's beautifully done - love the cover. And love your White Fox sculpture in your shop!

      Delete
  3. Lots of books to read this month then. I always think it's a shame when you look forward to reading a book and choosing at what point you are going to read it only to find that when you do it's a real disappointment. Hope your May reads prove better.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it always leaves me wondering why I didn't get it and so many others did!!

      Delete