We try to spend as much time in the garden as possible and we've just had some very nice, hot weather but this morning we got up to rain, which for the plants is no bad thing. But we've our fingers crossed for a drier day tomorrow as it's Hugo and Will's school sports day...
If you feel the urge to bake buns here is a simple and quick recipe:
125g butter, very soft
125g caster sugar
125g self raising flour
2 large eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Good splash full fat milk
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/ gas mark 6. Line a bun tray with paper or silicone cases.
2. Get a mixing bowl and weigh out the very soft butter and caster sugar and cream together until really well combined.
3. Add the flour, the vanilla extract and the eggs. Add the good splash of milk. Give this all a good mix making sure it is smooth and lump free.
4. Using a spatula scrape the mixture into each bun case trying to fill them evenly.
5. Put the bun tray into the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes. The buns will be golden and risen slightly. Wait until they cool a little before lifting them from the tray.
6. Try not to scoff them all in one go.