Friday 15 May 2015

good enough for me




This week has beetled along and now we're facing the weekend. It has stayed cold, windy and wet and I had to really make myself get up and out for my morning walk to the lake as it was just so miserable. Needless to say I enjoyed it in the end, especially the little roadside clumps of bluebells and dainty white flowers.

These chilly days are punctuated by lots of time baking in the kitchen ~ fruit loaf, bread, cheese and herb scones, sticky date squares, a celebration cake (filled by special request with chocolate ganache and mini marshmallows) as well as sensible and nourishing pots of warming soups. Of course the boys love this and it gives me a lot of pleasure to see them enjoying it all. Our evenings are spent in a comfortable huddle in the warm sitting room where there's reading and game playing and the odd bit of squabbling to oversee. It is sometimes hard to remember the value of these small things, to hold on to the fact that being here for them, just being their mum and doing 'mum' things like sewing on Scout uniform badges and reading their bedtime stories is good enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment