Friday 29 June 2012

Freeze(r): Friend or Foe?
Last night, way after my usual bed time I blearily went to the freezer to lift out what I thought were chicken fillets. The mysterious frozen bundle was wrapped in a freezer bag and I honestly didn't look that closely (I'd separated the fillets into 2 bags) so I popped it into the fridge to defrost over-night. So far so good. Except when I got up this morning the chicken had morphed into stewed rhubarb and apple...
So each step of the early morning walk was absorbed by what to do with the apples. LuckilyI'd borrowed a cookbook from the library called 'Apples for Jam' by Tessa Kiros and there was a recipe for Maple Syrup Ice-cream which would go oh so well with apple crumble...you thinkin' what I'm thinkin'?
Here is the recipe for Maple Syrup Ice-cream and I really, really hope you're having summer weather which justifies ice-cream eating...

250ml cream
125ml pure maple syrup
250ml full fat milk
1 teaspoon good quality vanilla extract

Mix the cream and maple syrup together in a bowl or container with a lid that fits. Whisk in the milk and vanilla. Put on the lid and put it in the freezer. After an hour or so give the mixture another good whisk (with a hand or electric whisk). Then put back in the freezer for another hour or so and repeat the whisking. Then when it's nearly set give it another stir (I used a fork at this stage) and then leave to set.

It was divine with the apple crumble. I never did find those chicken fillets.

Signs of summer:



No comments:

Post a Comment