Monday 1 June 2015

under pewter skies

It is the first of June. It was five degrees but dry and windy when I went for my walk this morning and now it's five degrees, raining hard and windy, so in fact I got the best part of the day (unwittingly). The lake was choppy, sea like. Neither of the dogs so much as dipped their paws in such was the chill factor. We didn't hang around.
Only two days before the same walk was sunnier. I went further, leaving the lake behind, walking alongside small hedged fields. There were dark whirring patches of insects hanging in the air and layers of birdsong more complicated and beautiful than any symphony. 


Walking has a calming effect on me. I like that time, early in the morning, breathing in, tuning in to something that goes into my spirit. I like to be away from human noise, just for a bit, to think and clear thoughts, to reconnect to what can get lost in the busyness of everyday life. In all honesty it's probably the most important 30 or 40 minutes in my day.



1 comment:

  1. Saturday was warm and sunny here in the fens but by Sunday we were back to the wind and rain and last night was very windy. Has someone forgotten to tell Mother Nature that we are supposed to be in summer now.

    ReplyDelete